Blue Valentine (2010)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 16 items
|MPAA||Rated R on appeal for strong graphic sexual content, language, and a beating|
Sex & Nudity
- A man is on top of a woman. She refuses to have sex, and he yells at her in response, putting pressure on her to give in. However, nothing happens.
- Female is shown showering. Her boobs are shown.
- A couple is having sex. He is shown thrusting from behind. He has jeans on, she is bottomless. She is then shown washing her vagina at the sink.
- A man unbuttons his wife's blouse. He leans in to kiss her. She is a bit resistant, which irritates/upsets him. After roughly 30 seconds, they have a short argument interrupting the activity so nothing ever ends up happening
- A woman is seen showering without nudity, and her husband attempts to enter the shower and kiss her but she pushes him away and tells him to leave.
Violence & Gore
- A protagonist is beaten by someone else. He is punched in the stomach a few times, and across the face six times, leaving it rather bloodied and bruised. The facial blows are mostly offscreen, but we hear some yelling.
- A man grasps/strangles another by the neck in a heated exchange, before punching him in the face after threatening to hit him.
- 32 uses of 'fuck', 13 of 'shit', 8 of 'ass(hole)', 2 of 'son of a bitch', Also 6 instances of "God", 5 of "Goddamn", 2 of "hell", and 1 of "Jesus".
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Cindy smokes a cigarette with Dean. Dean smokes in several scenes.
- A main character is an alcoholic, but it's more informed than shown. There are still a few shots of him drinking straight spirits and beer, though. Cigarettes are used in a number of scenes, but not too frequently. One or two instances of social drinking.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The beating and aftermath scenes are fairly unpleasant, even though the violence itself is not long-lasting.
- The scene in which the couple have sex in a motel is rather uncomfortable. The woman is reluctant, mildly brushing the man off at times and leaving him angry/upset. He raises his voice and she sarcastically taunts him to hit her, and leaves the room in tears.
- There is a scene where the missing family dog is located on the side of the road apparently hit by a car. It is later seen being buried,
- A man jokingly threatens to jump off a road-bridge before his girlfriend tells him that she is pregnant, leading to an awkward exchange, after which she walks off and he punches the metal mesh sides of the bridge.
- This film is very nihilistic about love and relationships. It is very emotionally intense.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There is a scene in an abortion clinic where the doctor begins the procedure while explaining what he's doing. Although no images are shown, it can still be upsetting. But it doesn't happen because the woman stops the doctor.