Historical Films in Chronological Orderby jgrayzz | created - 29 Sep 2016 | updated - 12 Feb 2017 | Public
From Ancient Man to the election of Barack Obama and literally everything in between, these events have been adapted in thousands of films and counting...and I intend to watch them all in chronological order. Take the challenge with me! Credit to Patrick Louis Cooney, Ph. D. and his wonderful list at http://www.vernonjohns.org/snuffy1186/movies.html#I
- Instant Watch Options
- Movies or TV
- IMDb Rating
- In Theaters
- On TV
- Release Year
1. One Million Years B.C. (1966)
Not Rated | 92 min | Adventure, Fantasy
Prehistoric man Tumak is banished from his savage tribe and meets pretty Loana who belongs to a gentler coastal tribe but he must fight caveman Payto to win her favors.
I. ANCIENT MAN
2. When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1970)
G | 96 min | Adventure, Fantasy, Romance
Set in the ancient past when humans and dinosaurs lived together, a small tribe is struggling to survive by giving a sacrifice of a blond woman to their god, the sun, in return for ... See full summary »
5. The Pharaohs' Woman (1960)
106 min | Adventure, History, Romance
A beautiful girl and a young physician fall in love in the midst of a family, and power struggle between rival princes of Upper and Lower Egypt. When all seems to turn to the better, a ... See full summary »
II. EARLY CIVILIZATIONS
6. The Scorpion King: Rise of a Warrior (2008 Video)
PG-13 | 109 min | Action, Adventure, Fantasy
After witnessing his father's murder by the hand of the ruthless General Sargon, Mathayus travels to the Underworld to retrieve the enchanted Sword of Damocles from the dark deity, Astarte. Can he thwart the usurper's megalomaniac vision?
FIRST DYNASTY (c. 3150 - c. 2900 BC)
7. Land of the Pharaohs (1955)
Approved | 106 min | Adventure, Drama, History
A captured architect designs an ingenious plan to ensure the impregnability of tomb of a self-absorbed Pharaoh, obsessed with the security of his next life.
Votes: 3,434 | Gross: $1.50M
FOURTH DYNASTY (2613-2498)
- Building of the Pharaoh Khufu's Great Pyramid of Giza, 2560 B.C. in the 4th Dynasty
8. Sudan (1945)
Passed | 76 min | Action, Adventure, Romance
Young, lovely Naila becomes queen of the ancient Egyptian kingdom of Khemis when her father is killed in a slave revolt. Continuing her penchant for going incognito among the people, she ... See full summary »
Following the murder of her father, Queen Naila of Khemis is enslaved.
9. The Egyptian (1954)
Approved | 139 min | Biography, Drama, History
In ancient Egypt, a poor orphan becomes a genial physician and is eventually appointed at the Pharaoh's court where he witnesses palace intrigues and learns dangerous royal secrets.
EIGHTEENTH DYNASTY (c. 1550 - 1292)
- Story of physician Sinuhe in Akhenaten's reign, 1352-1334 B.C. of the 18th Dynasty
10. Queen of the Nile (1961)
97 min | Drama, History
Chronicles the rise and fall of the woman who eventually became known as Queen Nefertiti.
- Queen Nefertiti, wife of Akhenaaten1 (reigned 1352- 1334 BC) of the 18th Dynasty
11. Tut (2015)
88 min | Biography, Drama, History
A mini-series concentrating on the youngest Pharaoh to rule Ancient Egypt.
- Tutankhamun, aka The Boy King, (ruled 1333-1324), and was only 17 years old when he died
12. Pharaoh (1966)
180 min | Adventure, Drama, History
Young Pharaoh Ramses XIII clashes with Egypt's clergy over influence on the affairs of the state and its coffers.
TWENTY-FIRST DYNASTY (1077 -0943)
- Polish film set in Egypt in 1069 BC of the 21st Dynasty; Smendes I (reigned 1077-1051 BC)
13. Princess of the Nile (1954)
Approved | 71 min | Adventure, Fantasy, Romance
In 1249, an Egyptian princess allies herself with the son of the Caliph of Baghdad in order to rid Egypt of its Bedouin invaders.
MAMLUK SULTANATE (1250 AD1517)
- c. 1249 AD, an Egyptian princess tries to drive out the Bedouin conquerors; Bedouins were a predominantly desert-dwelling Arabian ethnic group
14. The Mamelukes (1965)
90 min | Action, Adventure, Drama
After suffering Egyptians from the oppression of the Mamluks and despotism clump the people and organize popular resistance to eliminate them and get rid of the ruling Circassians and the ... See full summary »
- royal bodyguard in the 13th century; in 1250 a Mameluke, Qutuz, came to the Egyptian throne; Mameluke sultans ruled Egypt; conquered by the Ottomans in 1517
15. Confucius (1940)
96 min | Biography, Drama, History
The life story of the highly-influential Chinese philosopher, Confucius.
II.2. CHINA (UNIFICATION OF CHINA)
- eastern Zhou Dynasty (770-256 BC) -- characterized by a breakup of Zhou territory into states that were largely independent; capital moved eastward in 770 BC from Haojing to Chengzhou
16. Confucius (2010)
TV-MA | 125 min | Biography, Drama, History
The life story of the highly-influential Chinese philosopher, Confucius.
- Chinese philosopher Confucius (551-479 BC) developed an ethical and philosophical system that in the Han Dynasty developed metaphysical and cosmological elements
17. Sacrifice (2010)
R | 122 min | Drama, History
To save the only child of the Zhao Family, whose entire clan was massacred at the hands of a nefarious minister, a doctor sacrifices his own son; after the Zhao child grows up, the doctor becomes intent on seeking his vengeance.
- To save the only child of the Zhao Family, whose entire clan was massacred, a doctor sacrifices his own son and later seeks vengeance; set in the Jin State
18. Battle of the Warriors (2006)
R | 133 min | Action, Drama, War
Story centers on a battle during China's Warring States Period, a series of civil wars, which spanned from the 5th to the 3rd century B.C. Based on a popular Japanese manga, which was in turn based a Japanese novel inspired by Warring States history in China.
WARRING STATES PERIOD (475-221 BC) -- most of this period coincides with the second half of the Eastern Zhou Dynasty, although the Chinese sovereign (king of Zhou) was merely a figurehead.
- film set amid the Warring States period
19. An Empress and the Warriors (2008)
R | 99 min | Action, Drama, History
After the death of her father, a woman is forced to take over as empress and fight to save her kingdom.
- the leader of the very war-liking Yan, one of the Ten Kingdoms, dies and is replaced by his daughter, while facing lots of resistance against her
20. The Emperor and the Assassin (1998)
R | 162 min | Drama, History, Romance
In pre-unified China, the King of Qin sends his concubine to a rival kingdom to produce an assassin for a political plot, but as the king's cruelty mounts she finds her loyalty faltering.
Votes: 5,740 | Gross: $1.33M
QIN DYNASTY (221- 207 BC)
- 221 B.C. unification of China
21. The Emperor's Shadow (1996)
130 min | Drama
Epic drama about China's first emperor (221 BC) who struggles to make his childhood best friend, now China's greatest composer, succumb to his will and compose a grand anthem to his ... See full summary »
Votes: 513 | Gross: $0.07M
- unification of China
22. Hero (2002)
PG-13 | 107 min | Action, Adventure, History
A defense officer, Nameless, was summoned by the King of Qin regarding his success of terminating three warriors.
Votes: 169,277 | Gross: $53.71M
- four assassins plot to assassinate the King of Qin (who has the potential to unify the warring states into a nation)
23. A Terra-Cotta Warrior (1989)
145 min | Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy
China 2.200 years ago. It's the time of the Qin dynasty. The emperor seeks immortality by busily letting his alchemists search for a formula and building the famous terracotta army from the... See full summary »
- in the Qin Dynasty the emperor builds an army of terra-cotta warriors
24. White Vengeance (2011)
Not Rated | 135 min | Action, Drama, History
White Vengeance tells the story of two brothers contending for supremacy during the fall of the Qin Dynasty, which ruled Imperial China from 221 to 206 BC. As rebels rose, the nation fell ... See full summary »
- in an interregnum period between the Qin and Han Dynasties, two generals, sworn brothers, contend for supremacy in the ChuHan Contention (206-202 BC)
25. The Last Supper (2012)
Not Rated | 120 min | Action, History
The story of two warring generals (Liu Bang and Xiang Yu) fighting for control of China at the end of the Qin Dynasty.
- story of two warring generals (Liu Bang and Xiang Yu) fighting for control of China at the end of the Qin Dynasty
26. Xi chu bawang (1994)
165 min | Action, Drama, History
Insurrection deposes the tyrannical first emperor of China during the evil Qin Dynasty. Warrior/general Xiang Yu and the cunning peasant Liu Pang join forces to win through civil war. Xiang... See full summary »
HAN DYNASTY (206 BC - 8 AD)
- Xian Yu and Liu Pang depose Qin Dynasty
27. Red Cliff (2008)
R | 148 min | Action, Adventure, Drama
The first chapter of a two-part story centered on a battle fought in China's Three Kingdoms period (220-280 A.D.).
Votes: 42,292 | Gross: $0.63M
HAN DYNASTY CONTINUATION/EASTERN HAN DYNASTY (25-220)
- Prime Minister Cao Cao plans to usurp the Han dynasty throne after he defeats any possible allies of the Han Emperor, but that will prove a difficult task (winter of 208/209)
28. The Lost Bladesman (2011)
Not Rated | 109 min | Action, Biography, Drama
The story of legendary Guan Yu crossing five passes & slaying six generals. He played a major role in the civil war that led to the collapse of Han Dynasty & the establishment of Shu Han of the 3 Kingdoms, making Liu Bei its first emperor.
- legendary Guan Yu slays six generals in the civil war that led to the collapse of Han Dynasty & the establishment of Shu Han of the 3 Kingdoms period, making Liu Bei its first emperor, 219
29. The Rise of King Modu (2013)
94 min | Drama
The story of Modu Chanyu, the founder of the Xiongnu Empire. Sent off as a hostage to a neighboring kingdom as a child his father wants him dead so dispatches an army to attack that kingdom... See full summary »
30. Amrapali (1966)
119 min | Musical, Fantasy
A victory over neighboring state Vaishai has always eluded Magadh Samrat Ajaatshatru despite being winning and taking control over all neighboring states. He attacks Vaishali only get ... See full summary »
HARYANKA DYNASTY/SHISHUNAGA DYNASTY(684-424 BC)
- Bimbisara (544491 BC), founder of the first Magadhan empire, fights for the beautiful Amrapali, royal courtesan of the republic of Vaishali
31. Alexander the Great (1941)
Not Rated | 146 min | Drama, History, War
The story is set in 326 B.C. The film begins after Alexander the Great (Sikander in Hindi/Urdu) conquers Persia and the Kabul valley and approaches the Indian border at Jhelum. He respects ... See full summary »
NANDA DYNASTY (424-321 BC)
- Alexander the Great's conquests in North-Western India. (in Urdu language with English subtitles)
32. Samrat Chandragupt (1958)
Not Rated | 105 min | Adventure, Drama, History
This movie depicts the personal life of Samrat Chandragupt, his trials, tribulations, and frustrations, as well as the challenges he faces to reclaim his kingdom; face-off the threat from ... See full summary »
MAURYAN EMPIRE: 321-185 B.C.
- Indian emperor befriends, but then defeats Alexander the Great, establishing the Maurya Empire (321 - 185 BC)
- ancient, pre-Islamic India; ruler from 320-298 BC
34. Chandragupta (1934)
- founder of Mauryan Empire, originating from Magadha kingdom in modern Bihar, eastern Uttar Pradesh and Bengal in e. India
35. Ashoka the Great (2001)
R | 176 min | Action, Biography, Drama
The epic tale of King Asoka's life is recounted here.
Votes: 12,717 | Gross: $0.70M
- India after the age of Alexander the Great, Emperor Asoka (273-232 B.C.)
36. Mayura (1975)
178 min | Drama, History
The movie presents the story of a saintly boy who realises his royal connections and his return to his rightful place
GUPTA DYNASTY (c. 240-550 AD)
- King Mayurasharma (345 - 365 C.E.), a Brahmin scholar & founder of the Kadamba Kingdom of Banavasi, the earliest native kingdom to rule over what is today the modern state of Karnataka
37. Slave Queen of Babylon (1963)
101 min | Drama
Story of an ancient Assyrian queen that supposedly took place around 810 B.C.
- woman fights for power in Assyrian empire and begins re-building the city of Babylon; Ninth Dynasty of Babylon, around 811 BC
38. The Queen of Babylon (1954)
Approved | 98 min | Action, Drama
Beautiful goatherd helps Chaldean rebel fight evil king in ancient Babylon.
- Babylon rebels against the Assyrian empire, 626 B.C.
39. Head of a Tyrant (1959)
94 min | Adventure
A beautiful girl plans to seduce, then murder, the brutal conqueror who has taken over her city.
- girl gives herself to cruel Assyrian tyrant who has conquered her city in order to overthrow him
40. War Gods of Babylon (1962)
Not Rated | 88 min | Action, Adventure, Drama
Noble, wise King Sardanapolo and his more soft and naive younger brother Prince Sammash get into a bitter feud over the affections of sweet and alluring innocent peasant girl Mirra. ... See full summary »
- in the later years of the Assyrian Empire, there is conflict between King Ashurbanipal (reign 668 c. 627 BC) and his brother Shamash-shum-ukin (English & Italian languages)
98 min | Adventure
The rightful heir to the throne of Babylon leads a slave revolt against an evil ruler.
Votes: 95 | Gross: $1.80M
- last Mesopotamian king of Babylon, Nabonidus (reign 556-539), left rule to his son Belshazzar, and Babylon is overthrown by Cyrus the Great of Persia (Italian and Spanish languages; no subtitles)
Passed | 197 min | Drama, History